Vision / Missions / Objectives / Strategies
Phase 1 (2008-2012)
The operation of the Thailand Center of Excellence in Physics in Phase 1 and the period of transition (2013-2015)
was discipline-based research based on skill and expertise of research laboratories in 5 clusters:
- Research Center in Physics of Thin Films
- Research Center in Particle Beams and Plasma Physics
- Research Center in Nanoscale Physics
- Research Center in Integrated Physics
- Research Center in Computational and Theoretical Physics
The goal was to nurture and develop capability of the Thai physicists with international expertise and to create novel physics knowledge and innovations
that provide an advantage to local industry and society. This will allow us to develop scientific and technological self – reliance according to the following
vision, mission, and objectives.
Our vision is to achieve excellence in physics research and graduate studies in Southeast Asia
- To develop physics research and technologies for supporting development of the country in order to be competitive with other countries and to be self- reliant.
- To increase and raise the Thai physicists abilities to the level of international standards.
- To manage physics knowledge, research results and innovations.
- To enhance and strengthen physics research and education of graduate studies equivalent to international standards.
- To develop research infrastructures and create knowledge to support the development of high technology in the country; to be self – reliant; as well as to increase the competitive capacity of the country.
- To manage knowledge, research results and innovations for social and economic benefits.
- Conducting physics research to reduce the effects of globalization, which can impact the economy and society of Thailand; and promoting the competitiveness of the country consistent with its direction of development.
- Increasing well qualified physics teachers and physicists.
- Managing knowledge and innovation transfer.
Phase 2 (2016-2020)
Phase 2 of the Thailand Center of Excellence in Physics will focus in raising the quality of research outputs
and physicists beyond Phase 1 in order to perform research which has an economic impact including academic impact, social impact and industrial impact.
In this 2nd Phase, demand-driven research that is consistent with the nation’s challenging problems and strategy for a creative economy will be specially
supported. Vision, mission, and objectives of the 2nd Phase are:
To be the leading center of excellence in physics in ASEAN, which is the key to enhancing Thailand’s competitiveness and self-reliance in science and technology.
- Develop physicist competitiveness at a world-class level. As well as to strengthen teacher capacity to be able to educate and improve the physics learning skills of Thai children.
- Support and promote research and development in physics to the quantity and quality that facilitate the country's development into a creative economy able to compete with leading countries in physics.
- Manage physics-based innovations in order to utilize research results in social and commercial applications to conform to creative economy principles.
- Strength the structure and infrastructures and improve self-reliance of physics research in the country.
- Develop the Thailand Center of Excellence in Physics into a self-reliant self-regulatory organization.
- Accelerating development of international standard high level physics-based manpower to fill a shortage in the manufacturing and service sectors for supporting high-technology development in the ASEAN Community, and to advance a creative economy in Thailand.
- Increasing the potential and strengthening of research in physics and collaborative networking between the Institute of research and the world's leading education Institutions. Developing the system of education in physics equivalent to leading countries in the world in order to support the development of high technology in the ASEAN Community and the creative economy in Thailand.
- Managing physics-based innovations for utilizing research results in academic, social and commercial aspects.
- Developing research laboratories and tools in physics to an international standard to increase the potential of research results to be internationally competitive.
- Increasing Teachers and Researchers in Physics Strategy
To reduce the shortage of capable physics teachers and physics researchers in order to support the country
strategy in shifting from labor and natural resource-based economy to knowledge and creativity-based economy.
- Increasing R&D Quality Strategy
To fulfill the needs of academic excellence for society, environment and business to reach a better quality of
life and higher value of local products and services.
- Management of Physics-based Innovation for Development of the Country Strategy
To focus on research projects that satisfy the needs of the country and the utilization of existing research
results, through a technology business incubator unit, starting from prototype to actual use by networking with the manufacturing and service sectors.
- Development of Central Research Instruments in Physics Strategy
To create supporting infrastructure for research and services, large-scale central research instrumentations
will be developed and installed so that frontier research and cutting-edge technology can be successfully undertaken which are well compatible with the
creative economy policy of the country.